Tuesday, July 5, 2011

On the Fourf of July

We love the 4th of July around here. It's one of our favorite holidays. Top 2, actually. So we try to cram in as much summer time celebration and patriotism as we can.

This year, we did a pretty good job.

We started with the ward Flag Raising & Pancake Breakfast. It was kind of a shock to realize that this event (last year) was the first 'church' thing we attended in Iowa. July 1st marked our first anniversary of living here. It has flown by.

So much has happened:
Andrew started 3rd year of med school
Andrew was called as the Ward Building Coordinator
I was called to teach in Primary and help in Activity Days
Andrew was called to nursery (in addition)
Emily was born--Sam became a big brother--I became a mother of TWO--Andrew has a Daddy's girl
Andrew was released from nursery
Andrew was called to be the Sunday School President
Emily became me co-teacher in Primary
Sam turned 3
We hosted Andrew's fam for our 3rd Thanksgiving
Emily was given her name & blessing
Andrew lived in Kansas City for 2 weeks
We drove 51 hours roundtrip to see my family for Christmas, through whiteouts and crazy winds
We celebrated New Years on the road home from ID
Sam became a Sunbeam
Sam started Preschool (a mom run co-op of 6, including us)
Andrew was released from Sunday School
Andrew was called to be the Young Mens' President
Emily learned to sit up
Andrew was called to be the First Counselor in the Bishopric
Andrew's Dad flew out last minute to ordain him a High Priest
Andrew was released as Building coordinator & YM Pres (after a few weeks)
I was released from Activity Days
Sam graduated Preschool
Emily learned to scootch on her bum
Sam took his first ever swimming class, and passed easy peasy
Emily learned to crawl
And so much more

And instead of things finally slowing down, the year ahead holds just as much:
Andrew will go to Philadelphia, Phoenix, York, home, Residency interviews, Philadelphia, and the Bahamas via South Carolina.
The rest of us will go to Idaho, Utah, hopefully York, home, Philadelphia, Boston, Virginia, and the Bahamas via South Carolina.
Sam will turn 4. He will attend another year of preschool.
Emily will turn 1!
I will turn 27 (ha, I actually had to stop and think for a minute on that one)
And that only takes us to Christmas Day!!!

But today was as close to perfect as I could want. See?

yesterday after church

Watching last night's fire works from the hood of the car. 
Yes, Sam put his polo shirt on backwards
 Watching eagerly at the parade.
Sam was so sweet. The very first piece of candy, one lone little piece, was sitting on the road behind the kids. Sam picked it up and gave it to the little boy in the red hat. (the only other child there at the time)
Later, he rushed to get two pieces, then put one in Calvin's stash and one in his own.
Sam was so cute about waving and smiling that people would throw the candy right at him.
He even got a high five from one of the Harley-Davidson bikers.
 The giddy freedom of a water balloon fight.
 Watching my boys play football. Even when I had to leave the game to comfort Emily.
 Ice cream.
 And more ice cream.
 Sparklers.
 And less scary sparklers.
 Catching tadpoles in the 'crick', as Andrew called it.
 More fireworks. Emily loved them.
She wasn't phased a bit by the noise. She watched in awe, then turned to snuggle, then watched some more. She was exhausted, and near sleep when the grand finale started. She turned to watch, then snuggled back in and fell asleep! She slept through the next 5 minutes of constant booms, then woke up when it stopped and people cheered.
(Sam is helping cover Andrew's ears.)

Then we loaded up the car, headed home, went 3 car lengths in 20 minutes, pulled over, and went back to play with our friends for another 45 minutes.

I am so grateful to be able to live this life with my family in this blessed country.
"Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"

10 comments:

Angela B said...

sounds fun! Hope you guys are doing well!

Stephanie said...

What a crazy year. That is a lot of different callings within a year for the both of you!

Sounds like you are doing well. Good luck with all the traveling this year. Cheers to fourth year. See you in less than a year! YAY!

Bree said...

well I am so excited you posted!! i love the family picture!! you all look great! and what's this about the bahamas?? awesome! when's the trip to idaho?? i'm excited! we'll have to chat soon so i can get filled in! love ya!

D said...

Sure looks like a perfect day of celebration! I was so excited to see the pics of all of you :) Sounds like you have figured things out, but there seems to be more travel in that list than I remember talking about?

Ash and Joe said...

wahoo for a party in york!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bradfields said...

Wow what a year!! I loved reading and catching up, its been WAY TOO LONG!! You have a beautiful family!!! Miss you Heather!

Caitlin and Jared said...

I'm so glad w are on your travel list!: )

Christian said...

Daggum! Y'all are some seriously busy people! I'll bet that'll help this year fly by even faster than last! 4 years!! Wow!
Thanks for ending your post with that verse. Sometimes, around family and celebrations, I think I forget to really remember the reason we can be with families and celebrate. Thanks for the reminder.
Friend.

J, K, L, and D said...

You guys look super busy - and super happy. :) Did I hear that Andrew wants to do ER? I'll bet you'll be excited when he's done...I am just happy Jared's finished boards (well, the first round, anyway).

Your family is beautiful, Heather. And growing up so fast. :)

Jenny said...

Crazy busy year for you guys! We thought of you guys last yesterday....Happy Anniversary! :) Miss you guys!