Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Gamblin' Gnomes

Ever since we found out we matched to Bettendorf, IA, I get a picture of poker playing garden gnomes whenever I say the name. Now you will too ;-)

We went up to check out the area and drive around looking for "For Rent" signs. (Really. We haven't had much luck online/over the phone.)

On the way up we found this great park in the most picturesque little town.


We also found that the QC (Quad Cities, for those not in the know) is a pretty great place. We had gone up in January for about 26 hours, but facing the grey drizzliness I wasn't terribly excited.

This was the opposite. The sun was shining. The grass was green. We found parks and cute little neighborhoods everywhere. The Mississippi was majestic and lined with walkers, bikers, kiters. I am so glad that if I have to move again, 6-months pregnant, away from friends and familiarity and safety and support, at least it's a cute looking town with things to do.

While we drove around looking for apartments/duplexes/houses, it was Sam's job to find parks. And stop signs. He was fabulous at both. We played at 2 or 3 parks. And a gas station where we put air in our tire. Sam was a rock star. (We drove 4 hrs up, drove around in the car for 4 hours, then drove home, with only about 1.25hrs of play time.)


At one of the parks Sam found. Andrew has better pictures on his phone.
Sam is pointing to the ducks which flew away after floating down the creek "lazy river" style.

We may-kind of-knock on wood-cross your fingers-throw salt over your shoulder-possibly have found a place to live. We go to check it out after this semester. Barring anything crazy/unlivable I will post more details then.

This is our town...
(and the Bison farm/day care we pass on the drive up)

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

The pic of Sam of Andrew's shoulders is so good! That is too cute. Andrew is such a good daddy.

I still love observing you two and the way you parent/love your child. Sam is so lucky to have you two.

Caitlin and Jared said...

I hope everything works out with the place to live!! Love you!

Bree said...

1. Like the new header. You look AAAAdorable! And I love Sam sittin shotgun with Drew. :)
2. When I think Bettendorf, I think Griffendor from Harry Potter. hahaha.
3. Great park!!! Bet you'll be spending lots of time there, so good thing Sam has an eye for them! ;)
4. So happy you like the town, it looks nice!
5. GOOD LUCK with your potential place. I really hope it works out!!
6. Good luck to Drew Dog for finals!!!
7. LOVE AND MISS YOU!!!!!!!!

Ash and Joe said...

sweet park! looks like a great little place.

D said...

Glad you already like the area--that sure helps when you have to move. I'm sure all will go as it should, and you will have another cozy home to enjoy the next 2 years. Really like the 'lazy creek' picture.

Morgan said...

well. i must say that the bison day care/farm peaked my interest/giggles. good luck! i love cute little towns! hope you find something wonderful!

Nicole Norris said...

Good luck with the move! I am glad you like the place and I hope it all works out.