Friday, October 23, 2009

Iowaoanianites

The match is in--
For the next 2 years, we'll be living in Bettendorf, IA. This is a good thing. It was our first choice in the match, so we were incredibly blessed to get it.
Such a crazy thing. Having your life determined by a lottery. 92% of Andrew's classmates matched in their top 3 choices. Some didn't match at all. We have lots of friends who got their first place. Many who didn't. Weird to be happy when so many have had their plans switched for them.
We have an interesting track record with these kinds of 'decisions.'
~When Andrew was looking at colleges after his mission, he got a brochure from BYU-I. He thought "I'm never going to that school;" a few weeks later he was driving across country to a place he had never seen. A month later, he met me. :)
~When we moved to Richmond, we looked and looked and looked for a place to live. I had charts and maps and lists and lists. Then Andrew's mom saw a sign for an apartment, and we moved in a few days later.
~When Andrew was accepted to med school, we planned to go to a different school. Then knew that KCOM was the place for us, and it worked out that we could come here. And we love it.
~For some reason we had overlooked Bettendorf in our initial site choosing. We had our list, but didn't feel like we had found the right place. We went back through all the sites, and Bettendorf jumped out at us (not literally, of course). It fit everything we were looking for. And that's where we're going to live. I guess the Lord knows where we're supposed to be, even when we don't. Pretty great, isn't it?

Check Bettendorf out: city and more.
We'll head up over Thanksgiving break to check the place out and start looking for housing.

*Anybody know what people who live in Iowa are really called?*

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking at Bettendorf on the Web. It has you guys dame all over it. I agree with you. The Lord is a perfect orchastrator. You are indeed blessed. I'm so happy for you. Love, Dad

J, K, L, and D said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you guys. :)

Caitlin and Jared said...

Congrats on your first choice! If my calculations are correct, that will put you approximately 196 miles closer to me!!!!

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

I think you got it just right. I can't imagine any other title would be more fitting! :)

Bree said...

Sorry I haven't left my congratulations yet! I'm really excited for you guys....even though I was really wishing you could be in like, oh, I don't know....REXBURG!!! :D Love you tons and we're proud of you Drew Dawg!!!

Nicole Norris said...

I can't say I am excited but I am happy for you!

Amanda said...

I'm so excited for you guys! It really is amazing how the Lord works to direct our lives, even when we almost miss it! I'm glad for the last minute inspiration and that you are happy to be going to Iowa (I can't say that I would be :) ). We love you guys and will miss you over 3rd and 4th year. And probably thereafter, but we will always be grateful for your friendship. Wow it sounds like I'm saying goodbye already! I'm NOT! But we do love you!
Amanda Freeman