Saturday, August 21, 2010

Big Brother

Even though I don't feel completely ready for the little one's arrival, I think Sam does. He has always said he was excited for his baby sister, given my belly kisses, been excited to hear her heartbeat. But I think now he actually gets that a baby is coming home and staying. (Well, at least as much as he can.) And he still says he wants her to come out!

Sam went to a "sibling class" put on by our hospital on Aug. 3. I think he was more excited to go to school at the hospital like Daddy, than for the actual class. Either way, he thought it was the greatest thing. The nurse in charge of it was great. There were 3 little boys, all under 4ish, so it was a pretty basic class. Sam got to make a handprint and they'll add the baby's footprint when she's born.
He got to bring his Dr. Bear, diaper him, put a hat on him, and swaddle him. Sam then carried him around for the visit to the nursery and everywhere else we went.

At the end of the class, Sam received a certificate that he was ready to be a big brother. We were so proud-his very first certificate!


Since the scare, I've been trying to get things ready, and I've been pleasantly surprised at how helpful Sam has been.

In the last week he has helped me fold and put away baby clothes, put together the changing table, put the bassinet up, and get the car seat out. Each time he has asked if it was his, and I would explain that he used it when he was a little baby, but now his little sister would use it. Then he would repeat to me that it used to be his, and now it's "baby sister's".

He's tested the toys.

This was probably the sweetest thing for me to see and to put my mind at ease that this new baby isn't going to 'ruin' Sam's life too much. I set up the bassinet, and Sam asked if it was his. I went through the explanation that when he was a little baby he slept in, but now he was too big, so his baby sister would use it. He repeated to me that he slept in it, and now "baby sister" would. Then he pushed the bassinet into his room, right next to his bed. He turned, smiled at me, and said, "Baby sister sleep by me." And pushed it a little closer to his bed.

I love my sweet little boy. There have been so many sweet things I haven't written down:

-When we were driving home from the store and Sam asked if his baby sister would cry. I told him that she would when she was hungry or tired or needed a diaper change. Sam told me he would change her diaper. I told him he could help me & Dad change her diapers. He said that Daddy could help him change her diapers.

-Before we moved, when I was putting Sam down for a nap and he wanted me to tell him a story. I told him about when "Sam" was born, and things he'd done, and then how he would have a baby sister and be such a good big brother and give her hugs and kisses. He leaned over and started hugging & kissing my belly.

-A couple weeks ago he started asking if he would be able to hold his baby sister. I told him how he would sit on the couch and we would help him hold her. He said, "No, I hold baby sister" and reached over to hold my belly. "See!"

-The time I was getting him out of bed in the morning and he started pulling on my stomach, "Baby sister come out and I hold her!"

There are dozens more memories I wish I had recorded that capture his sweet love for his little sister, for his mom, and for his family.

He is going to be the best big brother this little gal could ever want.

9 comments:

J, K, L, and D said...

I can't believe how much Sam has grown up! He's so sweet. :) And how did you find out about the hospital class? Sounds like a great idea.

Hope you guys are well. I think of you often.

Chelsi said...

Completely melts my heart.Already I find myself thinking as I hold my tiny girl, how can I ever love another one as much? and wondering how she will feel about another baby someday. THough they are far-away worries, your post quiets some of those far-off fears. I love your little family, and appreciate the model you - and Sam - are for me.

D said...

It is natural to wonder about loving a new baby when you have grown to adore your first, but you will discover, as we all have, that there is an abundance of love within to go around. I love the idea of a 'sibling class'. That handprint & footprint will be a precious keepsake! Sam will be a wonderful big brother!

Ash and Joe said...

wow he really does seem ready!

Morgan said...

How sweet. Good luck with this almost here baby girl!
tonight in her prayers sadie said "im grateful to play with my sisters...(and silently), i hope i can have a brother someday.." needless to say there was some smothered giggles..

Caitlin and Jared said...

So cute!!

Tamara Jacobs said...

oh sweet sam. i think he is the cutest. looks like he is all ready!
how exciting!!!!!

Nicole Norris said...

Sounds like Sam is ready! I hope they are as close as Brock and Mikele.

David & Vanessa said...

I loved this post. I just read it. Sam is still so adorable looking. He sounds like he will be the best brother ever. What a sweetheart. You are lucky to have him and he is lucky to have you guys as parents. And baby girl is going to have the best protective and loving brother. Thank you for sharing this post...it makes me itchy for baby #2.