Andrew was called into Young Men's just a couple months after Michael turned 14 & entered the Teacher's Quorum. So we watched him grow up, I guess you could say.
We decided to make the drive down for the big event.
I think I may have been more excited to go to Kville than Andrew. We contacted a few great friends to let them know we would be coming to town. (We kept it a surprise for the scouts.) Both families immediately invited us over for dinner (only regret is not being able to say yes to both...and stay longer).
We left right after church. Sam talked about the friends we were going to see the whole way down: playing with Megan in nursery, going to Connor's house, playing with Lizzy...
When we got to town, we stopped by to see Randy, one of the scouts that Andrew had an especially close connection with. (Randy dropped by the house all the time, offering to help with anything we needed to have down. He even swept out the garage for us when we moved.)
We had dinner with the Cluffs, and from the moment we pulled into the driveway, it was a blast. Sam ran right in to play with the kids. Andrew & Chuck started talking rotations. Kristine & I caught up and just chatted. It amazes me when you see someone you haven't in a while and not only is it like no time has passed, but somehow better because you have the added excitement of catching up and finding out about all the time that has passed. (Does that make any sense?) Unfortunately, we had to leave pretty quickly to make it to the Court of Honor. Andrew was giving the opening prayer.
I wish I could have seen the moment when Andrew walked in and the scouts saw him. (I dropped Andrew off and went to pick Randy up.) Michael's mom told me that his jaw dropped and he teared up. Judging from the excitement of all the boys afterwards, I'm guessing there was more than one dropped jaw in that room.
I realized something after the program. As I talked to the ward members that had come to support Michael, it hit me. This was home. Somehow over those two years, the ice storms, the studying & tests, this town--this ward, especially--had become home.
It was a bittersweet understanding. To appreciate what you had only after the fact. But also to hope that it could happen again. That the awkwardness of a new place, new people would pass and that maybe Iowa could become home, too.
I was also touched as I saw, a little from the outside, I guess, the impact that Andrew had had on this ward. Because of his love for and dedication to these boys, the ward had accepted him as a full-fledged member, not just a passing transient. And seeing their surprise and emotion because he had come back... It's only a 4 hour drive, not unreasonable. But you would think it was the other side of the country by the surprise on some of those faces.
After a wonderful evening of visiting with friends, you know that relaxed, comfortable chatting that really isn't any work at all, we climbed back in the car and drove home. Because someday soon, it really will be.

Helping the new Eagle soar:
Mark Babcock, Ben (the black-sleeved arms), Randy, Brennan, Andrew & Michael up top.
8 comments:
Everything totally makes sense: chatting that isn't work, the excitement of catching up, reuniting with friends and it seeming like no time has passed...
I'm a little--okay, a lot--jealous that you can make the trip to KV. What a neat experience for Andrew & his boys.
Such a sweet post Heather. I am not at all surprised that Andrew had such an impact on the YM and ward (and I bet you did too!)
Glad you had such a great little trip home. Love the eagle soaring pic--hahaha!!! Love you guys!
Ooops--it's me!
Bree
oh my gosh that sounds like so much fun!!! joe has been raving about Andrew and the impact he has had on those boys lives. he is in ym/boy scouts now and is amazed with how Andrew gave and committed himself 110% in that calling. i think now he is hoping to do the same. the only thing standing in his way is me. ha! :) so coo dos to you too! miss you guys!!!
i am so jealous! i wish i could just drive to kirksville for the weekend. but i wish that everybody was still there to visit with! you two are amazing! i wish we could be more like you!
I love this post. Trevor just got called to the Young Men's Presidency on Sunday. The YM are so important. It is an awesome opportunity and responsibility. Good for Andrew.
We miss you guys! It was such a great surprise and so fun to catch up. And yes, Andrew is awesome! I wonder how often the boys get to see their past leaders who have moved on-so amazing you could be there for that!
I would imagine the look on those boy's faces when Andrew walked in the door to Mike's court of honor was very similar to when we saw you in Nauvoo just outside the temple. Those boys leaped off their feet! They risked getting hit by cars just to embrace Andrew, nearly knocking him over. Andrew's example is continually talked about as a leader who really magnified his calling and became a hero to many young men. All the hours he may have missed out on studying will surely be worth the impact he had on those boys.
Post a Comment