Friday, March 18, 2011

Evolving

Sam has recently been introduced to the concept of leftovers, resulting in the following scene, repeated almost daily.

"Sam, please come back to the table and finish eating."
"My all done."
"Then you need to ask to be excused and wipe your hands & mouth."
"May I please be scused?" (Accompanied by a wave of his napkin in the general vicinity of his face)
"Remember that once you're excused you're all done eating and we put your food away." (A reminder born of multiple "excusings" per meal while Sam gets a toy, a drink, a peek out the window...)
pause...
"My save it for later!!" (Accompanied by a huge smile and quickly followed by Sam sticking his whole plate/bowl/cup in the fridge until such time as I throw it away in disgust...or he comes back to eat the hardened pasta or crusty rice.)

But today, today Sam graduated to the next level. You see, Andrew showed him the wonders of saran wrap a few days ago.

So after the above conversation, and before Sam put the half-eaten sandwich in the fridge, he said-
"My wrap it up!" (And proceeds to get a large plastic bread bag from the drawer and wrap his sandwich in it. Without opening the bag. Or realizing it was a bag.)



But he actually finished it later tonight. So I'm calling it a victory.

Even though he ate it in lou of the dinner I prepared.

5 comments:

Bree said...

Dost my eyes deceive me??? New posts????? YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!.

Nicole Norris said...

You posting fool. I love when our kids get to smart for their own good. Ya gotta be quick with these kids. ;)

Chelsi said...

Too funny.

Caitlin and Jared said...

That is great!

Stephanie said...

For some reason I've missed your past few posts! I love your Sam. (And I love learning how you parent.)

Emily is so big and so cute.