Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Two vacations in one-Trip 1

With the recent change in plans to go to medical school in Missouri instead of Blacksburg, we've had to rework some of our arrangements. Namely, we needed to find a place to live! Andrew & I decided to make it a "last time before medical school starts & our lives change again" vacation.

Vacation #1-Kirksville

We left Sam with Andrew's parents and sister (I'll spare you the details of my personal trauma over that) and left from the Richmond airport at 6am. That means we had to be at the airport by 5am. After I pulled an all-nighter to make sure Sam had everything he would possibly need, including a detailed instruction manual, we got to the airport at 5:30am. (It may have been later, but I don't want to admit to it.) I credit this rush to my maintaining a semblance of composure while leaving my six-and-a-half-month-old baby.

After a layover in Detroit (possibly the coolest airport ever-crazy long tunnel with a light show and semi-trippy underwater music & a jumping fountain), and a three-hour drive from the Kansas City Airport, we got to Kirksville around 3pm.

Andrew showed me around the school, complete with Andrew T. Still's original log cabin (the founder of osteopathy), and automated patients (well, like they sound-fake patients that you can give medicine to, etc). It was great to actually see this place that will be such a big part of the next two years.

We toured the town (it has it's own McDonald's and Super Walmart) and checked out a few rental properties. Before going to a local college hang out pizza place. I don't remember the crazy name of the calzone-type thing I got, but it was really good.

The next day we learned how to go into debt and looked at more houses and apartments. We found some pretty good options and took the night off to watch a movie and make our decision. We had an appointment to see a house the next morning right before we left town, and decided we might as well keep it. Good thing-it ended up being the house we're going to be living in.

We didn't get any pictures of the house, the other family is still living in it so I thought it might be a little weird to whip the camera out. It is a nice house on a corner lot, 3 bedrooms, 2-car garage, nice little lawn. The whole thing was renovated not too long ago, with new appliances, carpet, insulation --the works. We are really excited to have found something so nice.

Enough talk, here are a few of the pictures we did get.

The cool fountain at the Detroit airport


I thought we were leaving the Bible Belt.

The long, open, lonely, empty road leading to Kirksville--absolutely gorgeous and only 10 miles from Adam-ondi-Ahman.

3 comments:

Bree said...

Oh Heathy, you crack me up! I bet it was hard to leave that sweet little baby! I'm so glad you found that awesome house...I hope I can come visit it! :) You guys always find the funniest signs ever! hahaha.

Walker Family said...

The house sounds perfect for you guys! it will be nice to have a yard when that little guy is running all over the place! I can imagine how hard it was to leave little Sam! But it sounds like it was a trip that needed to be made!

Caitlin and Jared said...

Glad everything went well!!