We went to see the doctor today for his 15-month well child visit. Here's the rundown:
Weight--22lbs
Height--30.5"
Head Circumference--18"
Andrew & I have been a little concerned that Sam isn't talking more (Our cute niece was saying "hi" at 14-months and, according to my baby book, I was chatting away at a year.) It didn't help that the nurse, the 3rd-year med student, and the doctor all asked if he was saying any words beside "mama", "dada" (for the record, Sam's sound more like the traditional "mom" & "dad" with end consonants).
After sheepishly responding no every time, we asked the doctor what the "average" 16-month-old's speaking abilities would be. Come to find out--Sam seems to be a little ahead of the curve. He understands and reponds to simple commands and questions and recognizes the names of a lot of objects (most of what he deals with on a daily basis). He was jabbering like crazy as soon as we got to the exam room, which had fish on the walls and hanging stuffed whales, octupi, & a shark. (Yes, I know that using the word 'octupi' instead of 'octupuses' makes me a super nerd. Enjoy.) I guess it's time to either buy "Finding Nemo" or a Walmart goldfish..."Finding Nemo" it is.
The rest of the visit went well. We all made it through the shots, with only a few tears that were done by the time we left the room.
I was taken aback when, during lunch after we got home, Sam pointed down to his leg and pouted, almost whimpering. Instead of my little baby that only months ago couldn't begin to tell me what was wrong, I was looking at my little boy, showing me what hurt, and waiting for me to fix it. It feels like a whole new stage of parenting, harder if that's possible. In addition to basic needs and comfort, I have to learn to meet expectations, too. But then there are the massive hugs, the wet kisses, and the soul-lifting, heart-filling, birds-singing smiles that come with it. Makes a pretty nice trade.
*I've just gotta say...*
~I will never understand why "the doctor's office" chooses to have you do the majority of your waiting in the exam room where there is expensive equipment, little entertainment, and a curious toddler stripped down to his diaper and socks wanting to run on the smooth tile floor. Isn't that why they have a waiting room?
~And whoever came up with the idea to flavor thee tongue depressors--GENIUS. Not only does it get the teeth unclamped, but it takes the edge off the shots, too.
Monday, March 23, 2009
Sweet Sixteen *months*
Sam turned 16 months last Thursday, and the sweet boy celebrated with his first date. He and Andrew took me out to dinner and home for a movie (which Sam of course slept through...in his room...while Andrew & I watched it...until we fell asleep...on the couch). He was a perfect gentleman (except maybe the part where he started blowing kisses to the older lady in the next booth).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Welcome Back!!! It is sooooo good to catchup with the Andersons once again :) You have been missed! Also excited that your new computer has its own webcam and we can visit anytime.
Flsvored tongue depressors?? I think we go to the wrong doctor! Sam is growing up so fast! First date, wow!
I love how you write. It's good to be reading about your life again. My favorite: octupi.
I personally enjoyed each new stage more then the previous so although it might present new challenges and expectations it is also equally more fun and exciting! Congrats on the new computer.
Yeah! You are back! I love your story about the restaraunt, that always seems to happen to us.
How precious--sweet 16 months. You two are really the cutest parents! sam is such a cutie. I'm glad you're enjoying him so much...the smiles and hugs do make it worth it, huh!
Post a Comment