Wednesday, May 13, 2009

All clear

For those of you that looked at the blog for the 5 minutes between the last two posts, let me again assure you that all is well for us here. The tornado touched down on the north side of town, leveling 3 homes and damaging some businesses. Before it got to Kirksville, it touched down in a small town where a family in the ward lives.

Can I tell you about my anxiety! The tornado sirens go off randomly (even on clear, sunny afternoons), so I have started questioning their validity. But this evening, after hearing the tornado warning on the radio, hearing how close it was to our home, hearing those sirens filled we with worry. It was time for Andrew to go to a Scout Committee meeting (If it were up to me, he would still be here. Where I can see him.) and Randy, one of his scouts, was here for a ride. I cleared off the floor of Sam's closet (the trap door entrance to our tornado cellar). Then I just went back and forth from the front door where the boys were on tornado watch to the kitchen to the closet, no idea what I was supposed to be doing to prepare for this force of nature.

The scripture "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear" keeps running through my mind...

*We were very blessed to be completely untouched. Others did not fair as well.

6 comments:

Caitlin and Jared said...

Yikes! Glad you are safe. My only tornado watch experience was in elementary school they had all the "walkers" in the gym and wouldn't let us walk home. Dad came and picked us up and let us ride home in the back of his work truck. Now, if we could ride in the back of a pick up, why couldn't we just walk???

StephenEmily Stacey said...

Yeah, I'm thinking that I really need to get going on the 72 hour kits that I've been putting off for so long. It's nice that you have a tornado cellar. I don't know where we would go if it hit closer to our home.

SAA Historian said...

I am so glad you guys are ok. I have started ignoring the tornado warnings too because they go off so often.

When I finally realized it was legit I was like in a panic with no clue what to do. I am pretty sure our whole house would fall over! Good thing Zane was home to calm me down.

Crystal said...

That was so scary! I was completely freaking out. Brendon was so calm and wanted to watch for it out the window. I made him come in the bathroom with Brielle and I. We stayed in there for 30 minutes. I'm still shaking a little. I can't believe how close it was. I'm so sad for those whose homes were so badly damaged. I hope this never happens again!! (yeah, right)

David & Vanessa said...

Glad all is well! Scary.

Kim said...

I'm glad you guys are SAFE!!! How scary is that!?!
I totally wish we could have seen you guys when we went out to Nauvoo a little while ago. We plan on making it a repeat someday soon...and we'll plan it better so that we can see you guys too:-)
We can't believe how BIG Sam is getting!