Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Thanks

I was thinking about friends yesterday ... the concept, not actual people (inspiration here)

I was filled with awe as I realized how many wonderful women I was blessed to call friends during our time in Missouri. I've never thought of myself as a very social person; I've never needed a large group of friends. But as I tried to define a real friend, I found myself counting...

- trips to the park when I had as much fun with the 'mom' as Sam had with the child
- last minute babysitters who insisted Sam was no trouble
- playgroups where we chatted and the kids played chase
- unannounced visits that lasted for hours because it was just so easy to hang out together
- babysitting group of 4 couples and 7 kids allowing Andrew & me 3 dates a month ... alone
- end of finals parties where dinner started at 5 and we went home at 11
- notes, phone calls, emails, and visits that came just when I needed them
- laughs and stories about motherhood and life that lightened the load a bit
- dinners at our house or others, where delicious food and good friends came together
- s'more parties with more treats than people, a permanent marshmallow toaster, fireflies, and memories
- board meetings that lasted hours after the meeting ended
- plates of goodies because we were on someone's mind
- advice, given and received, about kids, marriage, med school, growing as a person
- visiting teachers that always came and who I always knew cared
- examples of grace and joy in motherhood, strength in trial, peace in life, trust in God

Thank you, Heavenly Father, for giving me so much. And helping me to recognize it.

5 comments:

geeno said...

amen!

geeno said...

amen!

Anonymous said...

That sure is beautiful heather, Love, Dad

Mark and Jenny and Lizzy said...

It's so weird that you guys aren't in Missouri anymore. We miss you guys & good luck in Iowa!

Tamara Jacobs said...

hi heather,
i feel the same about my time in kirksville.
i miss you a lot.
hope you are feeling well and loving your new place.
love, tam