Thursday, April 2, 2009

Family time

The other day was a beautiful spring-ish day (today it is cold & rainy & gray). Sam loves going outside, and he would spend most of the daylight hours outside if I let him. (Unfortunately, I have lost my childhood love of sitting on muddy grass for hours at a time.) Andrew was home (he has lost NONE of his childhood love for things outdoor, adventurous, or even dirty), so we put on sweatshirts (I told you it was spring-ish) and went to explore our yard.


Sam spent a chunk of his time moving leaves from the leaf pile that Andrew raked a few days ago, to his a pile more to his liking (in the middle of the lawn). Andrew showed him how to draw on the sidewalk with dirt clods a few weeks ago, so he tried that, but the dirt was not very cooperative. Sam & Andrew then tried to un-stick the rusted bolts on my window box-style planter that I am going to try to grow herbs in over the summer.

It always surprises me how much Sam loves his world. While I noticed the shriveled leaves and the sticks strewn about the yard, Sam marvelled at them. Each one was worthy of his intense attention and scrutiny (if only for a second). Climbing the three steps on our deck was enough to bring a smile to his face (even on the fourth and fifth times).

Someday, I hope to share his wonder in the masterpiece that is our world.

3 comments:

D said...

From what I have heard of his Grandpa Norris' childhood, it sounds like Sam may get some of his enthusiasm for this world we live in from his grandpa. The rest I am sure comes from his Dad :)

Caitlin and Jared said...

He is so cute! I can't believe he was so good about keeping his hood on!

Angela B said...

Sam is getting so big! Don't you love taking them outside? We are sure enjoying our weather! It's good you got a computer again! Miss you!