Sunday, October 18, 2009

This has been a great weekend.

First, I had a wonderful birthday. (Thank you for all the calls, texts, emails, comments, and in-person happy wishes.) Remember when you were a kid and you tried to make yourself sound older by using fractions. "I'm not nine years old; I'm 9 and three-quarters." Yeah, I just hit the grand-daddy of age fractions.
1/4 of a century
wow

Andrew spoiled me. He surprised me with lunch out (complete with babysitter--thanks Andrew & Amanda!) to a little Italian place. We didn't eat spaghetti and meatballs, but it was just as sweet as any Disney movie. He gave me a thoughtful, sweet, make-me-smile gift (just like he always does).

Then he got his school to throw a huge bash for me and invited all the students, faculty, alumni, and their families. Yep, he loves me that much. Sure, everyone else thinks it was in honor of the founding of the first school of osteopathy. They're wrong. It was for me.

They had dinner, games, and a rockin' dance party where Sam showed us both up with his cool moves. I got to dance with both my boys to "YMCA" (Sam held my hands and ran around me in circles). Thanks to Sam inheriting our boogie-genes, Andrew and I got to dance, spin, and dip to plenty of songs on our own, in addition to the ones Sam joined us for.

Saturday, more wonderful friends watched Sam (Thanks Kristine & Chuck!) so we could go up to Nauvoo for stake meetings (Andrew) and the temple (me). It was a beautiful drive through the fields and hills, and along the Mississippi River. Andrew studied/slept while I drove and got to enjoy not only the scenery, but the little miracle of technology which Sam likes to call my "pi-Pod". I love that I can download hours & hours of General Conference talks to uplift me and prepare me to enter the House of God.

The drive home was the perfect topper for this great day. We were driving into the fiery fall sunset, Andrew was pumping some music on his computer while he studied. Somehow or other, he mentioned the name of the group that sings it. I obviously had no idea who they were. I got the "what rock have you been hiding under?" response.

I thought, "Since turning 25, I ...
... stood out in the cold this morning to watch Andrew's flag football game, where he intercepted a touchdown pass, and his teammate made the most amazing, NFL-esque catch in the endzone with his toes miraculously glued to the field while the rest of his body leaned out at a 30 degree angle so he could catch the pass ...
... got Sam all ready for the babysitters and remembered to grab snacks for our drive and drove 4 hours after getting pulled over for the first time EVER on my way home from the aforementioned football game
... have not magically learned the random group that sang this random song before I was even born--25 years ago
... guess I just got older this year, not wiser ..."


The "Friendsters" all-star team (minus a few)
The best shot we could get & stay on the road...

5 comments:

D said...

What a great weekend! Glad you had such a fun birthday. I remember my 25th-your dad actually put the 'quarter of a century' words on my card! All of a sudden I felt older :) He also threw a surprise birthday bash and invited all the Peace Corps camp in St. Thomas to it!! Fun memories. Thanks!

Bree said...

Glad you had such a great birthday weekend!!! Why no pics of you shakin your groove thang?? :)

Caitlin and Jared said...

Wow! You guys sure know how to celebrate! I'm curious to know the group...

Nicole Norris said...

Wow your first time being pulled over!? I mean I know there is a lot of other important info in this post but lets go back to that. What did you do? Speed? I had to take Jason (my legal older guardian) to a meeting at the DMV because of two many speeding tickets and I was under the age of 21. Ya the DMV guy thought it was pretty funny.

J, K, L, and D said...

I love your sweet family. I'm glad you guys are doing well.

I want to talk to you sometime about having a fam while A's in school & how you handle all of that (without being too private/poking into your business, obviously). I'm thinking more these days about having kids soon because - while you are a whopping 25, I'm about to turn 29 (eeek!) - I best get movin'.

Hmm.

Do you have my email? It's katieharrison13@gmail.com. Email me with yours so I can pick your brain sometime. If you don't mind.

P.S. I like the new look of the blog.