Thursday, October 1, 2009

haftalaph

I have to laugh.I have to laugh.I have to laugh.I have to laugh...or I might cry/scream/eatadozencookies/gotobedbeforemychild...

The night was right on schedule. Sam had a great time playing in the tub. We laughed while I got him dressed in fresh, clean pajamas. It was time for the obligatory pre-bed snack. (A necessity to ensure that Sam doesn't wake up at 4:30am starving...well, mostly ensures...) I suggested string cheese, raisins, and pretzels. A well-beloved choice. A virtually mess-free menu.

But, no. Sam is his father's son. He wanted cereal. Raisin Bran. With milk. I knew it was coming, but I got him a bowl of the mushy, sticky stuff anyway. What can I say, I love the kid.

I strapped him in his high chair, complete with tray (he's been using it as a booster lately to eat at the table with us). Contain the chaos. I put on his bib, you know, the all plastic one with the pocket. I sat down to work on a project that makes me feel like I got hit in the face with a cream pie.

I heard a slosh. Didn't expect this.

A bowlful of cereal right in the pocket (mostly).
A very proud Sam.

At least he's using his spoon, right?
Can you see it in his hair? Up his nose? In his ear?
(That's right. In his ear. I almost took a picture to document it. Then I thought, do I really want to document this? Guess I did.)
Turns out, he can't slurp the milk out of his bib. Had to scoop it back into the bowl.

Ironic.

So proud he could hardly stand it.

8 comments:

Caitlin and Jared said...

Oh boy. Was he really trying to eat his cereal out of the pocket? That is funny! Sorry it was just after his bath!

Ash and Joe said...

how will i ever be a good mom! i have no patience for that kindof funny business.

Heather said...

Not only was he trying, he DID eat his cereal out of the pocket. Even scooped up some flakes that escaped onto the tray, put them in the pocket, and then ate them.

D said...

What fun!!! Honestly these are the things wonderful memories are made of. Glad you can enjoy them and simply take pictures of it all. Keep laughing, Heather!! Just to clarify--you were referring to Sam as his father's son only with reference to liking cereal, right?:)

Brendon said...

I love it when people blog about the simplest things & make them into something extraordinary. You are such a cool mom!

Tamara Jacobs said...

that is soooo hilarious!
we just love that sam.

Nicole Norris said...

Well at least Sam is enjoying life! He is adorable so I don't see how anyone could get to upset with the mess.

geeno said...

wow - thanks for the late night laugh - what a gem