Monday, March 8, 2010

Eureka

No, we didn't have to buy a new vacuum (hehe-I'm so punny...I apologize, for some reason it was difficult to resist, and I was weak.)

I have come to a realization. I am going to make my blog my blog. Yep. No more attempts to be creative, inspirational, witty, popular, charming, memorable, or the dozens of other things I may or may not have aspired to be. This blog is going to be a web log of my life, my family, my projects (should any of them be worthy of sharing), my food (same conditions apply), my thoughts, maybe even my worries and my dreams (if I'm feeling daring).

Somehow this dumb and obvious "Aha" has made blogging seem fun again. I don't need something spectacular to blog about, which is why I can go weeks without posting. I don't need perfect pictures or words, which is why I can go months without posting. If no one wants to read about what I do in my day, I'm not forcing them to. I want to be better at recording my life and the life of my family--for us. And for you, if you're interested.

Here goes.

Lest anyone think that my activities last week were the norm (anything short of spectacular, really), let me give you a peek into today.

I woke up late. (With a horribly sore and swollen throat, like hard to swallow swollen, not painful-difficult. Weird.) I didn't realize I woke up late. I found out when my phone rang, and I was reminded that I was supposed to be babysitting at the gym. Yikes! I pulled Sam out of bed, gave him a string cheese, and headed out the door. (Why is it that something so simple and rushed as that still took 10 minutes? Oh, is that just at our house?)

We got home from babysitting and had breakfast. Sam polishes off 2 or 3 packets of oatmeal these days...then wants a snack 10 minutes later. Growing boy or Andrew's son? (well, both, but you know what I mean...) Then we crashed on the couch to read a book, which turned into playing games on my 'Pod' (Sam likes Oregon Trail and Mah Jong...until he realizes he can't find the matches), which turned into watching a movie on my 'Pod', which turned into Andrew coming home for lunch after a final to find us lying on the floor because Sam kept wanting to sit on my spot and pushing me off.

My wonderful husband suggested a walk, so we ventured back out. We got to our neighbor's driveway where Sam found rocks and a puddle. Toddler bliss! We eventually made it around the corner and a half a block before Andrew needed to head back. Moments later, after Sam ran straight into the street 3 times, we followed with Sam yelling "Dad, wait! Wait, Dad!" He must have gotten tired of running halfway to the corner, because despite his arms and hips swinging, his feet were walking. He's got a future in mall walking, this one.

I made Sam come inside when his hands were bright red and freezing from throwing snowballs in the puddles and reaching in after them. I compromised by saying he could throw rocks inside.


He didn't even need me to put water in the pools.

Andrew returned form studying to find us snuggled on the couch. (Yes, I feel lazy just writing this.) He made an amazing dinner for us (with Sam washing the potatoes all by himself=completely soaked down his front) and taught FHE. After, he went back to studying and I got to chat with my sisters on the phone (if you live close enough to talk to family in person more than once or twice a year, feel blessed). Then bedtime.

I did manage to wash and dry 2 loads of laundry, as well as fold and put away 2 loads of laundry, though they weren't the same loads....

Sam has become the resident sock finder. He always wants to be involved with the laundry, usually unfolding it and spreading it around. I have given him the task of finding all the socks in any given load and folding them (he kind of wraps them around his hand and puts them all in a pile). Sometimes he takes it more seriously than others.

The first time he crawled in, I tickled him. Then he kept crawling back in saying "Mommy tickle me." How could I resist?

And I swept my kitchen floor before bed. I can't remember the last time I did that (before last night, I mean). It gets swept, but usually after a spill or just during the day when it only stays clean for about 5 minutes. There's something immensely satisfying about knowing that it will be clean for at least 8 hours.

7 comments:

Bree said...

Why in the lands did "I talked to my most awesomest coolest sister (besides Caitlin)" not make the list???? :D CUTE pic of Sam!!!

Caitlin and Jared said...

Thank goodness for parenthesis, eh Bree? : ) I love that picure of Sam in the laundry!! So cute!!

Ross & Amanda Goodman- but mostly Amanda :) said...

Ross always makes fun of me for doing dishes and vaccuuming just after the girls are in their beds (but not yet asleep). I think you have the perfect answer now! It is the only time I KNOW it will stay clean for more than 10ish minutes!

lauramarie said...

i like this heather!

Stephanie said...

You are inspirational, Heather. I can completely relate to your first two paragraphs. I'm going to be more like you and whatever I please, whether or not it may please others.

Thanks for sharing your awesomeness (I guess that's really a word; who knew?...it isn't underlined in red).

D said...

That last comment hit home. I would go around picking up and cleaning before bed for the very same reason! Your dad would give me a hard time about "who is going to see it?" I would respond that I would know it was clean--that's what counted. Love the giggling photo of Sam :) The pool and the rocks is proof of what little it takes sometimes.

Tamara Jacobs said...

i love love love it!