We were putting Sam to bed, same routine as usual. Sam had a snack, we tag-team brushed his teeth, we read scriptures: Sam always wants to read a story about a boat.
After reading about Nephi building the ship, he wanted another story. A specific story. He flipped through the pages until he found the story of Abinadi teaching King Noah. He pointed to Abinadi; I said he was a prophet named Abinadi. He pointed to King Noah; I said he was a wicked king named Noah. Then he pointed to Alma; I asked Sam who it was: "Almo." I told a brief version of the story, with Sam interjecting details I left out: "don't touch", "'Bindi", "bad". Then Sam pointed to the picture of Abinadi's martyrdom, saying "uh-oh". (I'm always a little nervous with such tough topics.)
Sorry, I got a bit a sidetracked from the original story I wanted to tell. I was just so impressed with Sam's recall of the story. Remembering the characters, the part where Abinadi tells the servants not to touch him, the sadness of his death. The amount of information that he can take in and recall seems to have tripled lately. He repeats every new word you tell him, he narrates what he is doing, he asks questions (more where's and what's then why's...though I know the day is coming).
Anyway...
Then it was time for prayer. Andrew asked Sam to say the prayer. Sam knelt at my knees and began:
"Hev Fadder, great full play Lily. Play Ashley. Play Joe. Happy. Bless Daddy. Mommy. Sam. Name Jeshus Amen." **
I was amazed. I knelt there listening to my little baby pray all by himself. He has prayed before, even surprised me with his additions of "please watch movie" or "bless Daddy" during prayers at breakfast. But this was all him, from beginning to end. Completely unguided and unprompted. (Granted there was a decent amount of jabber I didn't catch, repeats, and yes, he was standing on his head for part of it.)
People always say how short and precious this time is, when your kids are young and learning so quickly. People always say it goes by too fast. People say you forget too much too quickly--or completely fail to notice the priceless moments amidst the mundane. People talk about the sleepless nights, the dirty diapers, the juice spills, the tantrums.
Why don't people talk about the moments like this? When you're blessed to witness the moment your well-intentioned-but-always-lacking guidance takes effect. When you glimpse the beauty and power and perfection of the sweet spirit you've been blessed to have in your home. When you're struck (again) by the awesome responsibility to teach, to lift, to ... do so much more than you've been doing, even though you've tried.
Why don't we talk more about those moments? Is it that they are so personal we don't want to let them out to be seen, judged, disregarded? Is it that they are so perfect we don't want them tainted by day-to-day conversation? Or is it that, in the rush of all the other moments, these silver sands of time are lost in the dust and crumbs and mud of everyday parenthood?
Not this one.
**For those that need a translation: "Heavenly Father, I'm grateful that I could play with Lily today. And Ashley and Joe. Bless us to be happy and healthy and safe (a phrase that has slipped into our prayers). Please bless Daddy and Mommy and Sam. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
14 comments:
Beautiful. My moment today is that Ivie looked right at me and smiled. I know she can't really smile at me yet - I know logically that it is just a gas bubble in her tummy that makes such an expression cross her face...but I am going to pretend that it was a smiling moment...and even though we both know better, I know you won't burst my moment bubble. Love you.
i love this! this is the BEST part of parenting. it is the reward that comes from all those hard things we always tend to focus on. and it is all so worth it. being a mother is the best best best calling ever!
This is so precious & so well written. I LOVE your blog! Thanks for sharing :)
Darn, I wanted to say PRECIOUS but she beat me to it! ;) That really was so sweet and beautifully written Heather. You and Drew are amazing parents! It really is so rewarding when what you're teaching "clicks". Love you guys tons!!
I love this. These moments are why I blog about personal things in my life. There needs to be a record somewhere for when I do forget or just need to be reminded. All that time and effort and REPETITION pays off in the end- and a lot of times well before the end (Thank Heavens for that!). Thank you for sharing this- it was lovely.
Who needs pictures? [well,a few are nice when you are distant:)] I love how you write and capture those beautiful moments in life. You truly have a great gift. Give Sam a big hug from me!
I am smiling from ear to ear & Jared is laughing. We love you guys & your sweet little boy. Hope you are well (& it sounds like you are).
such a cutie for sure! thanks for sharing.
I love little kids' prayers! Sam, you are awesome! (And your parents are too)!
Heather - this is is so beautiful! I love these moments too and share them almost exclusively with my mom and sister - it's interesting that when these special stories get thrown into everyday conversation they either get passed by as just another parenting anecdote or I end up crying in some public place. thanks for sharing this!
Wow that was a little deep! j/k that is great that you wrote it down. How quickly we do forget. I love that while you are posting things so spiritual that I am posting pictures of Allie picking her nose. (well I scheduled the post so stay tune for some lovely pics)
I'm so proud of Sam! You're such a good mom and it shows because of the great things this little guy can do!
I agree that thee types of stories should be the ones shared and not so much of the horror stories about parenting and being pregnant. Thanks for sharing this. I got a chuckle out of Sam praying about Joe and Ashley Orme. I miss them for little Sam already.
Thanks for that beautifully written post. I think we all need reminders to cherish the moments we are blessed with, our tender mercies as Pres. Uchtdorf would put it.
Post a Comment