Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Great Man

Gordon B. Hinckley, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, passed away Sunday night. I felt a sense of loss, but more a sense of peace and rightness. He served well, and now he is with his beloved wife.

I checked the Richmond news later that evening, to see if they would talk about this great man. There was nothing. Instead, they spoke of seeming trivialities - gas prices, caucuses, bank ATM fees. No mention of a man who dedicated his life to God. No word of his service. No respect paid to a man who shaped millions of lives, thousands of homes. The world has suffered an immense loss, and it doesn't know.

In a way, it is fitting. Few of the truly great men that have walked this earth received a second thought when their lives ended. They die as they lived, humbly. While stories of other men fill the history books, their legacies are written in the lives of those who knew them. And that, afterall, is the greater tribute.

I thank my Father in Heaven for the love He has shown me through the great men who have touched my life and the knowledge I have that I can be with my family forever.

5 comments:

Bree said...

Heather--you are such an amazing writer. Your tribute was so powerful and loving. Thank you! If only I could put my feelings into words the way you do!! Love you sis!

Caitlin and Jared said...

Well said!!!

Sophia Crane said...

That was a truly beautiful Tribute to our wonderful Prophet. Thank you for sharing your eloquent words about one of God's great men, President Hinckley.

Kimberly said...

Hey Heather! I found your blog through Kristyn's. It was so fun to look through your blog and read/see about how you guys have been and see your baby boy! Sam is adorable! We are living in TN so not too far from you guys. We're glad to have found you guys. We'll be checking your blog. :) Congrats on having Sam, he's handsome/adorable!

Kimberly said...

I just realized I didn't say who I was.Sorry! It's Kimberly... and Kip & Willem Nichols... from Rexburg