Thursday, May 8, 2008

Berry pickin'

Tuesday was Andrew's day off this week. We decided to celebrate the arrival of summer with a trip to a berry farm. Andrew's brother, Evan, and Evan's friend Blythe came with us. We had a blast checking out all the "extras" at the farm including...

Some great animals,
A hay ride to & from the fields,
Duck races,
And a giant vat of corn!

The berries were practically dripping from the plants. It was a beautiful site to behold and even better to eat. (All you can eat while picking!) Andrew is considering forgoing medical school and becoming a permanent resident of the berry patch. A fellow picker, a veritable guru, brought along one of those foil freezer bags and --redi whip! When she pulled that out, we knew we were amateurs and vowed to be better prepared next year. (I'm working on a portable chocolate fondue.)
The most fun was probably the tub of corn. It was over a foot deep of dried corn kernels. It may sound odd, but I dare you to try it. I'm positive this is the true purpose of all that wheat in your food storage.
We brought home about 7lbs of berries, not to mention all the ones we devoured in the field. I've enjoyed them on my cereal every morning, eaten them straight from the basket, and put them in salads. Anyone have another favorite recipe/use for strawberries? They are aging disappointingly quickly...

4 comments:

Kim said...

Strawberry Shortcake has always been a favorite of mine:-) Or you can make yummy strawberry shakes. I also LOVE them on top of waffles with whipped cream! This is starting to make me hungry...better move on to something else. I'm quite jealous that you are already starting to enjoy your summer! We can't seem to start spring here in Utah. The weather keeps on teasing us. It will be warm for a few days, and then get cold again, and even sometimes snow! I really can't wait to get down to Arizona...only 2 more weeks! Well take care, and your boy just keeps on getting cuter and cuter! We miss ya all bunches!

K. Bitton said...

How fun would that be! I am jealous! We don't have anything fun like that in good ol' Idaho:) One day when we live in San Diego we'll be able to do fun things like that. I love the pictures you guys took! I can't believe how big sam is! (I like to look a lot because of Glenn:) Glad all is well! You look GREAT by the way!

Caitlin and Jared said...

How fun!! I love strawberries! You could always try freezer jam, or just freezing some of the berries. I am all for the milkshakes and strawberry shortcake, but you could also try a pie, angel food cake with berries...Good Luck!

Bree said...

Oh my gosh that looks like SO much fun!!! The corn vat sounds a little weird, but I bet it was cool and felt funny in between your toes. Did you find any in Sam's diaper later? hahaha. Oooh I wish I was there to eat your berries! That's the only sweets I'm getting these days--fruit!!
P.S. Love the first pic (cut-outs) Looks like Sam really appreciated you putting him through that! haha. Love you!!!!!!