Saturday, May 31, 2008

It's Greek to me

One of the Greek Orthodox churches here hosts an annual Greek Festival. So, not being Greek in the slightest, we decided to check it out.


What I learned about being Greek--

~you have the best food-baklava
~your priest leads the cool "oopa" dance (I obviously didn't learn much of the lingo)
~you have even more of the best food-some glorious custard/fillo dough/sweet syrup concoction
~if you can slap your foot, you can dance
~the food smells so good, you almost don't have to eat any. Almost.
~you can get handblown perfume bottles 4/$12
~everyone wants to come to your house so they can eat your food (they actually had a "drive thru", which wrapped around the block-2 lanes!)


After careful research, it's official--I'm gonna be Greek. Now I just need to work on the accent. And the cooking.

9 comments:

Caitlin and Jared said...

Heather, you are so funny! I love the way you write about things! I think it is so great you guys went to the Greek festival just to check it out--you guys are so cool! Can't wait to see you guys!

Sophia Crane said...

I am with you on the Greek food. I have pretty much searched out Greek restaurants where ever I live I love the food so much & the very vibrant culture. If Brian and I are going out to eat we pretty much either eat Braslisian, Mexican (Brian served in San Diego Spanish speaking) or Greek. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Anonymous said...

I love the Greek festival too. Last time we went I talked for an hour with one of their people who was selling books about their religion. She was so nice and so sincere about their beliefs. Then when went and ate. their just like mormons. Bring them with food, then inspire them. Good formula. We will mis you gurys. xo Dad.

Bree said...

You are hilarious! Glad you had such a fun time--seems like it would be a party! Hope your trip to MO goes well!! Love you tons and can't wait to see you in a few weeks!!!!!!! YAAAAAAY!

Ryan and Triana said...

That looks like that was a lot of fun!!! I love Greek food and culture. It is so interesing! How are you enjoying it out there?

Anonymous said...

Heather, Wow... I'm glad that Jessica has your blog linked on hers. Anyway... so total random connection but my husband's mission companions-wife...lol I guess was really good friends with your older sister... I can't remember her name beacause I'm trying too hard to remember (I hate when that happens) but her husbands name is Ben Crane... Anywho... you have an adorable little boy how old is he now? Hope that we can keep in touch more now that 1. I finally created a blog and 2 that you have one :).

Bree said...

Hello, I just read this person's comment...Ben is Brittany's hubby, Heath. How funny, gotta love making connections like that!

Darren and Traci said...

I have been suckin it up at leaving some love on your comments. I just read up on the last little bit with you guys, half birthday for Sam!?! That was genius! haha He looks like he is getting so big and coming into a cute little personality. And Greek food and festival... fun! We have a place right next to mine and Darren's parent's houses in Portland called the Mad Greek Deli and it is to die for. It is always on our list of places to visit and eat when we make trips home. Glad you guys enjoyed yourself there. I will have to call you about July, I have a family reunion in Oregon and then Washington right in a row but depending on when you guys are out maybe we can figure something out. I will make a point of calling you this weekend!

Bree said...

We want a post!
We want a post!